Wednesday 19 November 2008

MAKING MEMORIES IN 1984

Once upon a time................................... in 24 Virtop road, the family got together for XMAS '84, and it was a time to be thankful, to be merry, to enjoy one another and now is the time to look back on those times and be thankful and enjoy them all over again.



....................and then the fun starts outside in the garden and in the pool - keep watching.......
and if you were wondering what Mitch was saying below in "When I'm 64" then definitely keep watching.



Max Bygraves, sang a song once that went......, we had such great big belly laughs - looking at those photographs, remember when we made those memories........... there's more - keep watching.............................. will add tonight
Going to listen to it in about an hours time. I know the song well, and remember – wow I was the same age as the beatles when they made their debut, Billy, you might remember the band called The Young Ones, I went out with the drummer Charlie Charlton, yep there’s a soccer player in UK by that name too, and also Ian Leach belonged to the band, he played the Saxaphone, he had gone over to the UK to see family and came back with their first ever record released and the Young Ones, the local band in Ndola, sang ‘Please Please me’ at a, what we called Disco, the crowd went wild.
I remember the days of stiff petticoats that we starched in sugar water till they stood up on their own!! Oh my word that really dates me, oops sorry ALL OF US!! Ian Leach landed up playing at ‘Smugglers Inn’ in Point Road in Durban, married with two childred. Sir Cliff Richard sang The Young Ones and I stand under correction, but I think that’s where they got the name from to call the band. Then when I moved to South Africa I met up with a band that played at the Youth Club at the Catholic church, NO SNOGGING ALLOWED outside. What a terrible name to kiss someone had…. to snog!! There were two sets of parents to keep an eye on all of us, I too met one of the organizers of the band, a guy called Johnny, and we dated for quite a while and I travelled with them a bit, when I was ‘allowed to’ but never allowed to ‘sleep over’. The singer of the band was a woman, believe it or not she is a Nursing sister in Nelspruit, her husband Stan, who also played in the band, was a QS in Nelspruit, and died many years ago of a brain tumour. Stan’s wife used to sing ‘Georgie’, when she sang Hey Georgie your hair on your arms stood up it was so very beautiful!! Do you remember ………….I can hear the words in my head but for the life of me can’t sing it Billy, did it have the words ‘last summer’ in it? In the song that started Do you remember…………………………oh I could go on all day about the wonderful memories we all had and here we are with you Billy, capturing them again in our 40’s/50’s and some us in our 60/s. No names mentioned. Thank you so much Billy for this wonderful Blog. Can I give you a snog?? Carol x

3 comments:

JOYCE TERESA (TESSY) BECHARD said...

WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, FANTASTIC,
A great pick me up whenever I feel lonely or down.
Bb you have brought all my family into my home, here down under, through the power of the internet and your brilliant dedication to the 8cowles blog. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Frank....I don't believe I am watching you wearing pink BELL BOTTOM LONGS!! You have to have had a reason for wearing PINK longs...not even rock stars wore PINK pants!! Maybe Elvis did?? Now c'mon there has to be a story to this one, out with it Frank, Charnelle?? Charnelle you were pregnant there was it because it was a girl???????

Anonymous said...

Monique...better known today as Moni, if your Grandad Cowle was still alive, he would have this comment to make about you in this video clip...
"You're all grown up now Monique, and you know what? You've got legs right up to your bum!" ...I will add he would pronounce the word 'bum' as in cherubim. (pl. an angelic being of the second order of celestial angels). I remember him saying those words so often. Legs 11 right up to her bim!!! Carol